Deciding to install and implement an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system is an important and expensive decision for any business. This is not only in terms of licensing the software from the vendor but also in dedicating the time and resources needed to properly install and maintain the ERP system.
Therefore, ensuring you have chosen the right ERP system for your business is paramount and should take some careful consideration before your final decision. Here are some of the most important things to consider when choosing an ERP system for your organisation.
- Create a clear list of requirements before selecting a system. Before you select a software vendor for your business ERP system, you should first make an extensive list of the functions you will need it to perform. This could include simple processes such as creating invoices and monitoring stock levels, or it could be more industry-specific requirements. If you can clearly articulate the needs of your business to software vendors in the first instance, you are more likely to be given appropriate and useful options.
- Make it mobile.When choosing an ERP system for your business, remember to think about mobile users or those who work away from the office. Can employees access the ERP system remotely with ease? Can they perform important functions on their mobile devices? Also, find out about the data protection procedures in place to protect important and private data when the ERP is being used outside of the main business server.
- Evaluate all of your options before making a final decision. Choosing an ERP system is a process that should never be rushed. Before you make your final decision you should get as much information and carefully evaluate all options. Once you have settled on an ERP system and it has been implemented across the business, it is unlikely you will want to repeat the process again for a while!
- Consider change management.As a business evolves and progresses it will undergo many changes that will result in adaptations to the ERP system. For example, new roles could be created, or existing roles and processes may be no longer required and would need to be deleted from the system. It is important for a business to manage its own ERP system as much as possible, including being able to make minor changes as and when required, so this is something to consider before choosing a system.
- Get reviews. Obtaining reviews and recommendations from other businesses is one of the best ways to find the right ERP system for your business. Ask similar businesses which system they use and if they have encountered any problems with the software. Try to get at least three different reviews for each ERP system before making a final decision.